Friday, January 18, 2013

a very cute side project

So shortly after I started this blog I found out I was pregnant.  It sidetracked me a bit and I totally stopped posting once the whole "morning" sickness (in my case afternoon sickness) and bionic super sleepiness set in.  Anyway this is our little side project, Clark:

There has been lots of work going on in our house this last year but I just haven't taken  the time to blog about it. Today  my sister asked for the link to this blog so she could show somebody our cabinets. I thought I would make an attempt to update it. We are slowly wiping the 70's out in this house room by room. But where we left off was the kitchen.
BEFORE:
When I last blogged:


And here are a few recent updates. 1. our fridge and microwave died  so we had to replace them. It really wasn't in the plan but when you need a fridge you need a fridge. So we have new stainless steel appliances. Steve also replaced the pantry door with chalkboards. I love it!

 

 Then Steve and his brother put crown molding in. They did a great job and it makes a big difference to the feel of the room.


 We also HAD to, simply could not pass up this kitchen cart from Crate & Barrel. It has the exact same pulls and trim work on the doors as our cabinets have now. We previously had an open bottom cart from Ikea. Everything under there was always dirty and had to be rewashed before using. This is a much better solution. It also has a fold out section on the back side, and towel rods.

 We also converted from oil  heat to natural gas so we got a gas stove.  This is such an improvement. I know some people love electric but I burned EVERYTHING on our old stove. Now  I only burn about 1/4 of our meals.
Its not fancy or top of the line but I'm really really happy with the updates to our kitchen. It made such a difference in the feel of the entire house. Its my favorite room right now. But we have a long way to go to get the rest of the house to catch up. I'll try and post about some of the other projects we have "mostly" completed, and the ones that we are in the middle of right now.