Monday, October 3, 2011

Weekend work



   A  few weeks ago I was out at garage sales looking for something like this: 
 Which I found for ONE DOLLAR this weekend.  And Everett LOVES IT! But I also stumbled across Steve's dream come true, a huge barn sale filled with tons and tons of old stuff. Steve and I went back together the next weekend and bought this barn door



This became the main project on Sunday when Steve's parents came up. They squared and cut the door which now looks like this

 Now all it needs is legs and it will become our new coffee table for the living room! And all the left over pieces will become a small entry bench and an end table.



So back to the Kitchen... 
Since our friends didn't come on Saturday Steve was able to get a lot of wood cut for the door panels.  He got about half done
  
Now we just have to glue all the panels on to the doors.  This is going to take much longer than we thought.  It is tricky to get the panels lined up just right with out moving the adjacent panels.  Then we have to clamp them down and let them dry. We only have enough clamps to do one door at a time and we don't really want to spend another $100 on more clamps.  So we will just have to be patient.


 Once the doors are glued we will prime them all at once. I hate using the oil based primer but it works well. So we will do it all at the same time to minimize stink exposure and clean up.

Here is a picture of the one door we already glued.  The door itself is already painted white because I was experimenting with painting techniques. It will be re primed and the whole thing will be white. I'm excited. I think its going to look great.

The hard wood floor is acclimating in the living room.  We hope to install them in two weeks from now.  In the mean time we've been spending a lot of time talking about counter tops, sinks and backspashes.   What I really want is recycled glass or concrete counter tops with an apron front farmhouse sink. But that ups our budget by about 3-4K.  Soooo I think we're going with laminate from the big box store and a drop in stainless sink.  It will still look waaaaaaaay better than the stained goldish counter top we have now. And yes, it was already stained before I poured paint all over it.
We also decided against a glass mosaic tile and I think we're going with a blue ceramic subway tile. We ordered some samples and I'll share them when they get here.